Tiruchendur means the sacred and prosperous town of victory. It is also known as Thiru-Cheer-Alaivai. It is famous as the second of the Arupadai Veedugal or Six Abodes of Lord Muruga. It is the headquarters of the Thiruchendur Taluk from 1911.
Tiruchendur is also a flourishing pilgrim center well connected by train & bus from all parts of Tamil Nadu and Kerala. It is just 69 kilometres from Tirunelveli on the eastern side and 100 kilometres from Kanya Kumari on the northern side. It has a special grade Town Panchayat and the Panchayat Union Headquarters is also located at Tiruchendur along with a taluk office. Tiruchendur's population is around 40,000.